ARE YOU PREPARED?
Pack a Kit
- As if you only have 10 minutes, make a list and put those items close at hand.
- Consider an evacuation route out of your home for all family members. Plan a drill with your kids.
- Choose a place to meet in case you get separated.
- Keep refrigerators and freezer doors closed.
- Turn off appliances, equipment, and electronics to prevent power surges.
- Use food supplies that don’t require refrigeration.
- Use alternative plans for refrigerating medicines or power-dependent medical devices.
- Watch out for carbon monoxide poisoning – get a Carbon Monoxide alarm.
- Check on neighbors.
- Throw out spoiled or questionable food.
- Go to a community location: Lincoln Hill Community Church, 1411 Lincoln Ave
In Your Home
- Water: drinking and cleaning
- Flashlights lanterns and batteries
- First Aid Kit and manual
- Fire extinguisher
- Lighter and matches
- Copy of driver’s license
- Cash in small denominations
- Can opener and scissors
- Portable toilet or bucket
- Wrench near gas shut-off
- Paper towels and toilet tissue
- Chlorine bleach
- Plastic garbage bags
- Feminine hygiene supplies
- Pet food and leashes
- Camping tent
- Sleeping bags
- Camping stove or grill
- Work gloves
In Your Car
- First aid kit
- Bottled water
- Nutritious snack food
- Flashlight and batteries
- Waterproof matches
- Heavy work gloves
- Portable AM radio
- Comfortable shoes and socks
- Toilet paper and sanitary supplies
- Tools: screwdriver, pliers, etc
- Flares and lighter or matches
- Never leave gas tank below ¼ tank
FLOODING – Flooding may come from rain, underground leaks, and rising water leaks.
- Look inside for water stains
- Look at the roof for missing or damaged shingles
- Look at gutters and downspouts for leaking water. They may be damaged or clogged.
- Look at how downspouts drop onto the ground. It should go into storm drains or at least drain away from your home.
- Look at retaining walls for water leaking or ponding above.
Hard to find emergency items – these are the things I bought:
Lanterns – Solar Powered Lumens small (2 pack ) these would be great to give to kids to teach them how to use solar power https://www.amazon.com/your-orders/pop/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_pop?_encoding=UTF8&gen=canonical&lineItemId=knqnkppomonpsny&orderId=112-4078845-2363466&packageId=1&returnSummaryId=&returnUnitIndices=&shipmentId=DBldD9RzM
Cell Phone Powerpack https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S322S1P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Water Filter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WG9GVW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Porta-Toilet Seat for 5 gallon bucket https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000B13MT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Bags for Toilet https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079N33LKC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3NUCJILZN382Q&psc=1